Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cooking class 101


I mentioned that I would blog about a recipe that I tried out for my family as part of my challenge I gave myself to bring new meals to the table and give me at least twice weekly when I am doing the cooking.

The Recipe I am sharing this week is from The Incredible slowcooker cook book by Cathertine Reynolds


It's Stuffed Cabbage rolls.

Ingredients:

2 tnsp. Olive oil
1 diced yellow oninon
1/2 pound of ground turkey. (i used hamburger instead)
1 diced green pepper
6 sliced button mushrooms
1 tsp. of each. Dried Oregano leaves, dried basil leaves and paprika
1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper
! cup of Fully cooked Wild Cabbage. (I doubled the rice but in hindsight I don't think I needed to do that)
1 Cored head of Cabbage. (get a big one) I had to learn this the hard way and send my husband out to get another one.
20 oz Pasta sauce

Instructions:
Add the olive oil and diced onions to a skillet and heat over medium/high heat. Saute the onions for 7 minutes until sofet, then add the seasonings, peppers, mushrooms and turkey meat. Continue cooking for another 7 minutes or until the turkey is brown. Note: Pay attention to only browning it. Too much cooking makes it harder to roll.
Boil the cabbage in a pot on the stive (covered halfway with water) then remove from heat once the water has reached a rolling boil. Remove the cabbage from the water once it's softened and drain it on paper towels or draining rack.
Mix the rice and turkey mixture together in a bowl, then add a scoop of the turkey mixture to the end of leaf of cabbage. Roll up the leaf up around the mixture, then place each roll into the slow cooker. Once all of the mixture is used up and all the rolls are in the slow cooker, pour the tomatoe sauce and then cook for 7 hours on low or 4 hours on high.

This was very good and made plenty but we did double the rice which is something I won't do again. This ends your first cooking class brought to you by me with the help of the cookbook. Enjoy!

No comments: