Wednesday, August 8, 2012

better friend


My best friend has been sick off and on this summer with diabetes and has involved a couple week long stays in the hospital. She doesn't always remember to call me because when your severly ill I am sure it's not easy to remember phone numbers and think about things like calling friends.

She has a really good Mom who stays by her side in the hospital each and every time. The last time she was in there I guessed cause she didn't answer the phone and went days without calling me back. I visit at the hospital but I admit that if someone is puking that I feel uncomfortable and don't like to be there.

However, I want to be a better friend to my friends. It's not that I am a bad one but I want to do more. She has a 12 year old daughter and a 16 year old son and her husband works 12 hours a day and is the only one working and doesn't take time off to take care of his family.

I always worry about the children and how they manage to eat. I know they are bigger and I know Mom has taught them some cooking skills.

I made some little goals in my head to do more for my friend's children. That could be paying them a little more attention when we do have outings that include the children. I don't think I ever realized I was doing it but I think I tended to ignore the daughters of my friends because it's been an area in my life that I was missing out on.

I am thinking of trying to make meals for my friend's children if I know she is in the hopsital. The problem could be that her kids never answer the phone for anybody so I am hoping if I make the effort to get to the children better that they will pick up my call.

One of my favorite things to do is swimming and Zumba and Monday I spent quite a few hours with my friend Rachel and her kids and her daughter is on the heavy side. I was told by her Mother that she wants to slim down before the 15th birthday cause it's the Mexican tradation to have the big party thing. I asked her if she would want to do zumba with me and she said yes. I told her what time I would pick her up.

Today, I woke up feeling ill and faked it at work cause I knew I only had to go for an hour and half. I called and left a message comfirming zumba thinking I would feel better. It's not been any better by five this evening so I called and talked to her Mom.

My poor friend's daughter was up at 6 am waiting for me to get her. I feel so rotten.

I have one more friend that I am trying to make an effort with to talk to her daughter. She is on the autism spectrum and I think she is so sweet. We were swimming at her house and I invited them to come out to the Y to do zumba sometime too. I should start getting a reward for recruiting Zumba nuts!! lol

So, that's my little goal is to make more effort to talk to my friends children and include them in some of the things that we do when us Mom's get together.

I think I am seeing that be turning children away and especially little girls that I am missing out on what good be some relationships with someone elses daughter. Not exactly Mom but it can't hurt to have one more person supporting them and watching out for them.

No comments: