Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Zoo


The day after the 4TH of July, I went with my little sister, her boyfriend and the boyfriend's son who about 7 or 8 years of age. It was a very hot day but it was nice and it's been years since I been to the zoo. It also happened to be the first time since I was at this zoo that charged to get in and charged for parking.

The zoo that is in the same state that I am more familiar to is free and doesn't charge for parking that I can remember.

I was surprised that Stephen and the little boy were acting the same as in asking for EVERYTHING. I think sometimes as parents we think it's just our kid that is unappreciative of what was given to them and what might be given to them. In the heat of the moments without having other children around it's easy for me to think it's all my kid and why can't my kid stop driving me crazy for EVERYTHING.

First my thoughts are a few things about the zoo. I didn't get why when my sister and her boyfriend paid over 12 a person and then more to park that the little shows and a few other items were an another 2 or 3 dollars a person. I know it doesn't seem like much but it adds up. I believe there were about 3 or 4 shows that we could have seen for that price. We paid to see the Dinosaur stuff. I guess we couldn't resist seeing how they brought the dino's back.

There was also a train ride which we did pay the 2 dollars a person for and it was cool but there wasn't a view of the zoo. There was also a zip line which not sure what that had to do with the zoo. I wasn't about to let my son do that. There was sky lift that we were going to do but it was shut down early.

My question is and I know that a lot of you have smaller children but in a situation like this how would you go about having a fun day at the zoo without getting sucked into spending your house payment in there? LOL

I feel if I knew more about the zoo and all that if offered I could have given my son choices and a dollar amount that could be spent. I got pretty lucky that my sister offered to pay for our day so not much came out of my pocket for our zoo trip.

It was a fun day but if I I would do something like this again I would want to be better prepared and not spend the whole day dodging buy me buy me questions.

2 comments:

The Busters said...

For the past two years for my birthday I have asked my mom for a zoo membership. That way my son and I can go whenever we want and don't have to worry about how long we stay. The membership also includes parking. It would be a VERY expensive outing without the membership. It also means we can do stuff like pay $1 for the merry go round or train and not worry about it since that is all we are spending. I'm super grateful for our membership. We actually went this morning and had a great time. :)

birthmothertalks said...

Something like that would be so perfect if we lived closer to the zoo!! I am so jealous!! Actually, I am glad that you guys went out and had a good time looking at the animals and enjoying family time.