Wednesday, March 21, 2012

To love a child

It's been a month or so now but I read a book called To love a Child. Someone left it at the Y in the spot to pick up a book or drop one off. I love this idea and I should probably drop some books off cause I am sure it's suppose to work both ways. Right next to the picture on the book it says A reluctant father adopts A "forgotten" Child.

What I remember being interesting is that the father had his own issues besides him and his wife and infertility problems and didn't really want children or couldn't care if he remained without them. I hope I am describing this book right since it's been a while since I read it.

They adopt a African American boy and boy did they have their work cut out for them. The little boy didn't adjust well and if I remember right he didn't believe that his Mom and Dad were his last stop. In the book, he finally gets it and I clearly remember him telling the social worker on her visit that he wasn't getting in the car with him.

This family ended up making friends with a young teen and was there supporting him emotionally where he needed it. Towards the end of the book, the young man moves in with them and they informally adopt him and they consider him to be their son too.

No comments: