Monday, October 17, 2011

I been with my new client for two months now. She lives in a Christian Retirement home and it's changing my thoughts a little bit on in home care compared to retirement homes and nursing homes. But I have to keep in mind that this is a very expensive one so not all of them are the same.
It took some getting used to working full time but it's what I have to do to make ends meet. Sitting without gas or electric or losing my home isn't an option for me.
They are always putting on events for the residents and my client enjoys music and so we go. Today, they played a bunch of videos and ended it with Christian videos. The video below I thought was just amazing. I have always loved Christian music but I go back and forth with it. Sometimes, it's uplifting and sometimes it seems to be a downer. So, at times.. it can lift my spirits and at times it can make me cry if I am already sad.
As the video was playing I just got an overwhelming feeling of just loving my job. I love that I get to experience so much and I get to be a part of keeping the elderly living an active life. She is always telling me they sure don't let me act my age. Basically, they make me walk. They make me stay busy. It can be sad when one moment... someone is telling you why don't the Lord just take me today and a couple hours later... the same person is saying I would like to live two more years to see the chapel built.  I haven't felt pride in my job in a long time. I wanted out but didn't know what else to do. It's been a long time since I felt like I am doing what I am meant to do. Yes, I am going to shed tears. Yes, I am going to have bad days where my clients don't want to take my advice but I do have a worth while job even though I am underpaid.
It's kind of funny that my views on religion bounce all over the place but in most of my dealing of my day to day life is in a church or church setting. But not sure where I am going with it and all of this. I just know that I loved the video. 


2 comments:

Angelle said...

Based on your experience I am curious what your thoughts are about in home vs. pricey assisted living care.

birthmothertalks said...

I will blog about that in a day or so.