Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In home care

My main job is providing in-home non medical care to the elderly. I been with the same company for almost five years. I like my job but it has it's moments. When we get a new client it's actually quite scary because we never know what we are going to be walking into.

We have to learn the new clients house. We have to deal with how they like the temperature of their house and even that means being overly hot or cold. We have to learn the needs and wishes of the new client.

My company and myself included make the most money if they can secure a client that needs care 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.

That is what happened this week. A client signed up for round the clock care and without a lot of notice my company rounded up employees to fill the shifts for this care.

I am writing this post because taking on this new client this week has reminded me of how it's not an easy task to just walk into someone home and start being the caregiver.

In a lot of cases most the person isn't used to having someone in their home at all times and don't expect them to just jump in and know everything or feel comfortable taking the move to start doing everything. I think the client wouldn't want the new people in their life to suddenly start roaming all over their house doing things. I am not saying that the employee has an excuse not to do things but don't expect them to come in and have everything running smoothly the minute care comes in.

Also, if you have 24/7 care, don't expect that the employee is going to be cleaning the majority of the time. The elderly are not that dirty so there just isn't going to be that much cleaning to be done. And if a job requirement is light housekeeping that doesn't include cleaning the basement, the attic. Also, your not going to get shoveling besides a basic walkway and your won't get caregivers mowing the lawn or doing serious weeding.

I guess my biggest advice would be patient and to communicate as much as possible with the company and the caregivers. If we say we are not allowed to do something because it's against our companies policy because it's medical that includes your family too. Also, just remember that your family members and the caregivers have to adjust and if given time it can most likely be a pleasant experience for everyone.

Lastly, if you or a loved one need care for a few hours a day to all day long don't be afraid or ashamed to seek outside help.

I thought of one more thing to add about adding in come care and especially if it's 24/7 Expect to see many different caregivers in the very beginning. We all haven't been sitting around waiting and suddenly available. Hopefully, the majority of us have other clients that we get some hours from.

If you continue with the 24/7 care hopefully the amount of caregivers coming and going will decrease and you might even notice a pattern with the rotating shifts. I know a lot of the people would rather see the same person as much as possible but sometimes it just won't work out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm telling you the Lord works in mysterious ways...this is the first time I'm looking around at other people's blogs and started reading your because of all things the balloons caught my eye, I gave up custody of my 5 because of complex religious reasons (not Christian)and agree wholly with your statement that the children should not be split apart, one here, others there. But here I am 25 yrs post divorce, living in the same town as my children in PA, about to have a total hip replacement and home care is the stumbling block. Its either 3-4 hours minimum daily at $19-20per hr and insurance doesnt cover that. I'm 58, in 2 rooms but cant imagine what to ask someone to do for 3-4 hours!! So we're at a standstill or, the cats are left without me for a few weeks and I'm shipped to rehab because I cant work the home care thing out. Any ideas would be so appreciated and obviously taken as a sign from above;-)

birthmothertalks said...

Hi. I just seen your comment. Let me do some thinking and get back to you.