Monday, March 21, 2011

Creatures of habit

My husband told me that when Alex is home for the weekend it kind of just bugs him and that's even if he is being well behaved. He was pretty good this past weekend and I am not as bugged as my husband but I agree it just kind of bugs me.

I think I have figured it out. We were watching a show on prison and solitary confinement and studies show that we are creatures of habit.

I admit that at first, I just thought about how my husband and I are creatures of habit but today, I got to thinking about how the kids are creatures of habit too.

So, maybe if we can remember that we are slightly annoyed because we are used to "our routine" that we can remember that the children are used to "their routine" at the other parents house. Maybe, it will make things a little easier to deal with.

One silly example, I am not sure if it 100% falls on topic but my oldest son left his shoes in the hallway. I have this same habit but I was slightly annoyed that he did. Mostly, though I thought boy he has huge feet and I pushed them so that no one would trip on them.

I never said anything to my husband but he brought the shoes up and told me that he was upset that Alex left his shoes there but when I do it he finds it cute.

I am glad that we watched that show and I am glad that my husband brought up his shoes. It reminds me that we are not all perfect, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and also just to try to let the small stuff slide. It makes me wonder could Alex pick up on the vibes that he drives us a little crazy. Honestly, it's not Alex that does it. Well, not all him. It's both of our creature children together that drives me up the wall. We are used to mostly just having Stephen home on his own and then they get together and fight with each other.

No comments: