Monday, August 23, 2010

Meld

Tonight, was the end of my second ten week session of volunteering for Meld. This session hasn't been as great because some of the babies... cried for their Mommies too much! The Mom's were not as regular as the last Mom's. Some of the Mom's from my first session were and I got the pleasure of seeing their kids again and again. It's amazing watching them grow. There was one little boy tonight who I realized how his language has really taken off. There really weren't any regular girls babies this time around. Even my helper (volunteer) wasn't very regular. She only showed a few times. I didn't really like her all that much. She was afraid to change the babies because she was worried about catching hiv from them. The majority if not all the kids have been black and I have to wonder if she would have said such a thing if they will white. The driver (a guy) ended up being my helper and he did a much better job.
I really love volunteering. It does something for my self esteem. It makes me fight the urge to cry about how sad I am at times over adoption. It makes me feel that I am doing something good. In a small way, I am helping young Mom's become better parents.. helping them remain a family. How awesome is that?
I honestly love the change from taking care of the elderly to the young. I love my job but can you imagine having five or six kids to play with and love on and then you go home? My sons are ten and fifteen. I love the toddler years. If I could have froze my children at 2 or 3 I would have. The smiles on the babies and toddlers face is priceless. You can not buy it. I think what Meld doesn't know is that they are doing me a favor.
I am down 30 lbs and it's running side by side with this program. I don't think I could have one without the other. I will be signing up for the next ten week session if they will have me.
Also, I meet with this church to talk to them about a paid babysitting job on Sundays. I will get to play and get paid. Sweet. It makes my sad days a little brighter.

No comments: